Saturday, July 18, 2009

RICHES

They say times were tough then.... that money was very tight... But I remember my childhood and I know that can't be right.
Mom would cook our dinner... Dad came home at five... We were all sitting at the table... waiting for him to arrive...
We wouldn't eat from a microwave.... or a restaurant down the street... We all ate mom's cooking... and boy that can't be beat...
We didn't eat in front of the TV... Or with a phone in our hand... We weren't plugged into a stereo...bopping to the latest band..
We would all sit at the table... Everyone in their place... There were never any surprises... We recognized every ones face.....
Brothers to the left of me... sisters to the right... That the way we ate dinner ... every single night....
We laughed.. we joked..we talked...we ate... We were a family don't you see.. Though some may have been raised poor... You see it wasn't me.....
We ate collards... we ate biscuits... We ate fatback and black eyed peas... We said yes sir.. we said no sir... We said thank you ma'am and please..
So when you talk of family life... or how it use to be... Though many have had more money.... None were as rich as me....
Jeanne D. Rhein


I wanted so to share this with you... This very well could have been written how my family was... many years ago... but you see I still have fond memories of these years and you see I feel none was as rich as me......





3 comments:

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I think that sort of Childhood is soooo what I would love for my own kids.
Tea at the table together and Dad home alot more Hours...

Laurie said...

Yes I remember those days.
My daughter wouldn't know what to do without her darn cell phone.
Well, one nice thing is that we still all eat together at the table each night.

Anonymous said...

Hi...I'm Tammy, visiting your blog via the lovely Lady Laurie.

I can so relate to your post today. I'm an empty nester and could only wish my children were around my table once again...sigh!

I did enjoy my visit here, and most admire your bloggy style and the precious hanky paper doll...I may have to try that myself!

Blessings to you and yours!