Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Being Thankful, Not Wasteful.....




As I have stated recently I have been on a secret mission around my home for several months now.... I am still very sincere about using objects and materials I have already been blessed with.... Seems every place I could have tucked something ... I am still finding un-used items... Over this winter I want to complete some sewing projects... I had started a quilt years ago...it is aged to the point I can hardly see the cross-stitch transfer anymore.... I wish to complete this... I had purchased some vintage sheets on Ebay for pillow making and the sheets are still playing hide-and seek in the cedar closet... Skeins of different yarn projects un-used tucked here and there.....Purchased a skein too many... you know what I am talking about... I am crocheting some dish rags as I can certainly use some and I will make some for small Christmas presents... I love the old crocheted dish rags..... I have about 10 feed sack white cloths to embroidery upon.... I found some charming-sweet transfer patterns to down-load on the Internet and did so and am in the process of transferring them.. I have pictured one completed and also a picture of the pillowcases I am still working on....
I think loving to collect and re purpose is a wonderful and exciting but personally I need to slow down with any buying and do more creating.... It may not be the project I desire but I did at one time spend the money and was blessed enough to have it so to continue to shove it in nooks and crannies... unused really mounts up.... I actually know I can find enough to keep me busy for months....
I so desire a pillow another blogger has right now for sale... I have been really giving myself a attitude adjustment to hold myself from this purchase... I love...love....love it......but the cost is 49.00 without the shipping fee... and I am sitting on vintage material here .... The pillow of desire is 12" x 19" and I know it is very high priced and I need not spend this amount... So many bloggers have so many lovely items in their Etsy shops.... I ask myself over and oer again ... is this WANT or NEED and always find it is just a craving I need to control.... God has blessed me with much more than I need already... and I need to be expressively grateful by not becoming wasteful..... When I view little things with Thanksgiving they become amazingly big..... Simple exchanges of Thanks embody the true spirit....
" TO BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED, AND FOR WHAT MY LORD HAS PREPARED, IS THE SUREST WAY TO RECEIVE MORE" Andrew Murray
Take a moment to share.... then offer... and then receive the most important of all.... Thank you....
As I sit this morning, cozy, with a blanket over my lap and a coffee in hand I am oh so certain I am on the right path to use the blessings bestowed on me already.....



5 comments:

Miss Gracie's House said...

I have so missed visiting and reading your words of encouragement in *simplicity and seeking beauty* all at the same time. I, too, am going to be a mission to use what I've already hunted for and envisioned to become something of beauty.
Have a great day!
Rene'

Sandi said...

Another very lovely post Marietta! Thanks for reminding us once again to use what we already have. Praying you have a wonderful day remaking old goodies.
Blessings~

Robin Ennis Willson said...

Gorgeous! My Grandmother used the girl with the dress on some pillowcases. I use them once in awhile, but am afraid of ruining them.
Hugs and blessings,
Robin

Katie said...

Again ~~ you have almost reduced me to tears with this bedrock of simple thankfulness and faith. Underlying everything -- this is where we find and re-find our center.
You, Marietta, are like a fountain of the sweetest waters, life-giving words, and I will treasure them through the rest of my journey on earth... bless your heart ~~
your kindred-spirit friend, Katie

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I have been looking at vintage embroidery patterns online today wanting to do some embroidering using threads I inherited from my late MIL. I have material to use as background.

Your post was touching in it's timeliness and truthfulness. We all too often want more, more, more, instead of stepping back to see and count our many blessings.

Thank you ~ FlowerLady