Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Dime





This sweet story made it's rounds in emails last year. You may not have read it and if you did I am sure you will enjoy it again....






Bobby was getting cold sitting in his back yard in the snow.. Bobby didn't wear boots... He didn't like them and didn't need them ... The thin sneakers he had worn a few holes in and they did a poor job of keeping his feet from getting cold. Bobby had been in his backyard for quite awhile already... And, try as he might, he could not come up with a idea for his mother's Christmas gift. He shook his head as he thought," This is useless, even if I come up with an idea for his mother's Christmas gift he didn't have any money to spend".



Ever since his father had passed away three years ago, the family had struggled... It wasn't because his mother didn't care, or try, there just never seemed to be enough. She worked nights at the hospital, but the very small wage that she was earning could only be stretched so far. What the family lacked in money however, they made up in love and family unity... Bobby had two older and a younger sister, whom ran the household in their mother's absence. All three sister's had already made beautiful gifts for their mother, and somehow it didn't seem fair. Here it was Christmas Eve and he had nothing.



Wiping tears from his eyes, Bobby kicked the snow and began to walk down the street to where the shops and stores where. It wasn't easy being six and without a father, especially when he needed a man to talk to. Bobby walked from shop to shop, looking into each and every decorated window. Everything seemed so out of reach... It had started to get dark and Bobby turned to walk home and suddenly his eyes caught a glimmer of the setting sun's rays reflecting off something on the curb. He reached own and discovered a shiny dime. Never before had he felt so rich as he did at that moment. As he held his new found treasure, a warmth spread through his entire body, and he walked into the first store he came to. His excitement turned quickly cold when the sale person told him there was nothing he could buy for a dime.... He saw a flower shop and went inside to wait in line...... When the shop owner ask if he could help him, Bobby presented his dime and ask if he could buy a single flower for his mother for a gift.... The shop owner looked at Bobby and his 10 cent offering. Then he put his hand on Bobby's shoulder and said to him "you just wait here and I'll see what I can do". Bobby began to feel alone and afraid. Suddenly the shop keeper came out and moved toward the counter... There before Bobby's eyes lay twelve long stem red roses with greens and little white flowers all tied with a big silver bow... Bobby's heart sank as the owner picked them up and placed them in a long white box. " That will be 10 cents young man" the shop owner said as he was reaching for his hand and the dime. Slowly Bobby moved his hand to give him the dime. Could this be true? Could this be true? No one would give him anything for his dime in the other store... Sensing the reluctance, the shop owner said " I just happen to have some roses on sale for 10 cents. Would you like them?" This time Bobby didn't hesitate, and when the man placed the long box into his hands, he knew it was true. Walking out the door the shop owner said, " MERRY CHRISTMAS, SON".... As he returned inside, the shop keepers wife walked out and said " who were you talking to and getting flowers ready for" ? Staring out the window and blinking tears away he replied" A strange thing happened this morning. While I was setting to open the shop , I thought I heard a voice telling me to set aside a dozen red roses, for a special gift. I wasn't sure at the time whether I had lost my mind or what, but I set them aside anyways." Then just a few minutes ago, a little boy came into the shop and wanted to buy a flower for his mother with one small dime... When I looked at him I saw myself years ago... I too, was a poor boy with nothing to buy my mother for Christmas gift and a bearded man, whom I never knew stopped me on the street and told me he wanted to give me 10 dollars. When I saw the little boy tonight I knew who that voice was, and I put together my very best roses". The shop owner and his wife hugged each other very tightly and as they stepped out into the bitter cold air somehow they didn't feel cold at all.
Ps... I had a legend in draft to share with you and I posted it this morning and it dropped it back to the day I placed it in draft... It is rather a sweet legend so if you would care to read it scroll back a few posts to " The legend of The Christmas Stockings"........Have a very blessed and peaceful day everyone....












Somehow this story warms my heart as I have been a child without a parent at Christmas and shared the same feelings and I have been that shop keeper and had small children come in with a coin..... more than you could realize.... and the gentle feelings when you know a child is in need... We should keep Christmas in our hearts all year long and share with another as much as we possibly can....


As the holiday season approaches, let us remember that HOPE was born at Christmas. His name was Jesus and that HOPE does live on...













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You share the prettiest post Marietta. This story brought tears to my eyes. I think perhaps we have all been that little child wanting to buy that special gift for the one we love.
"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all..."
~ Emily Dickinson

Sandi said...

Beautiful story Marietta!! Brings tears to my eyes. If we could all only show a little more kindness what a much better world this would be.
Blessings~

blushing rose said...

Oh, how this brought back memories ... TY for sharing. Very emotional for me.

Popover & enter our TRIPLE GIVEAWAY if you haven't. Have a lovely day. TTFN ~Marydon