Friday, June 25, 2010

The Good Life

I was reading Country Living Magazine and it's description of visiting a small town in Tennessee, with affordable shops and mile high piled meringue pies as being only a few of the charms... Oh how I am a small town girl... If you have never experienced it..... you do not realize the beauty of a farmhouse and gardens filled with vegetables to nourish your body and flowers to nourish your soul....and the stars over the open space to fill your eyes in the evening... Housing affordable ...crime rate low and neighbors that know and help one another.....
Also read a awesome quote by Jimmy Carter.." GO OUT IN A LIMB-THAT'S WHERE THE FRUIT IS ". Seems the country. the deep satisfying lifestyle... cherishing the use of all the old and loved knows the hope of connecting with others and when a meal comes from... To know, milk and hamburger just doesn't come from the grocery store... but a way of life... This life is a sense of pride and restores plenty of personality... although simple... placing those aprons on and preparing satisfying dishes from the wonderful kitchens... some of the nations best cooks reside there... I mean real cooks providing full meal feasts with home-made pies and cookies available any time of the day... For a real treat over the Fourth Of July ... try to get yourself to the country and spend it in a town with patriotism and spitting watermelon seeds... Just lots of good old fun... being yourself and living the good old life......Yesterday afternoon we picked our first batch of green beans and prepared them in a big old kettle with ham and potatoes and what a treat....Home-made chocolate chip cookies also came from the oven and I am going to sip another cup of coffee and have one right this minute... Come on down..... Enjoy your day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marietta, I'm loving your blog today! Those green beans, ham and potatoes are my favorites. I live in a very small town. We don't have all the conviences (sp) of bigger towns but the quiet, civil life more than makes up for all that. Those aprons are so pretty. Have a nice weekend and another good cookie. Smiles, Sally

Brenda said...

I love small town living and all the things you described. Yum, the first green beans cooked with ham and potatoes...I think I'll head up to the town square to see if my local farmer is selling his wares today. Last week he had green beans, brown eggs, yellow and red tomatoes, and green onions,and it has all been consumed and was delicious. I LOVE summer food!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the town I grew up in & the one I live in now BUT with this huge "gas Boom" we are seeing high land prices & high crime. I fear that the end of our small town life is near.....
Absolutely Beautiful Post!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Sandi said...

You are so right Marietta! Nothing like small town America!! And truthfully...I love traveling to my daughters (BIG CITY) so I can stop at amazing stores on the way, but I would not want to live there. I loveeeeee the country!!
Hugs~