Saturday, July 24, 2010

Wisdom Of Duty

We received much needed rain in our evening and night time hours last night... I was just checking the weather on my computer a few minutes ago and we may have more on it's way this afternoon... It is very hot and humid and I just returned from the sweet corn patch to where I picked from the ends and needed a towel to wipe my brow... The ears are all cleaned and washed and await the kettle for cooking for our lunch... I am serving a taco with fresh garden trimming for it to accompany the sweet corn...
I know many do not like to cook but I consider it a complete blessing to have a home with a nice kitchen to prepare nourishment for us.. Many hours are spent there.. Preparing sweet corn is a wonderful tradition of the past.. I loved it as a child and I love it more today... Delightful and sweet....
Food preparation is thoughtful and will remain in the hearts and minds of our families forever... My oldest son stopped yesterday and shared lunch with us... He made the comment he had just told others the day before how much he misses the daily cooking I prepared for them when younger... He does stop by now and then and share and is always welcomed... I have always considered it my duty but also enjoyment to prepare meals and bake wonderful treats... Of course the wisdom of this duty was implanted by my mother and grandmother when I was young... and of course it grew and flourished as I become a adult... I must admit I believe some of our young children are not receiving the wonderful meals offered to us in the past... The family event of sitting and sharing nourishment and conversation is very much needed and lacking in many families... Attending sporting events I see so many children stuffing JUNK from the concession stand down their tummies it makes me think this is so bad and so not budget friendly... Being selective is a must and better planning in how we approach this meal time is much needed... A woman's heritage reflect influences from the past and also our children's future.. In stilling this wisdom of duty implanted from mothers years ago need to once again be placed into action... Remember, nourishment of family through food and mind is the very best we can offer as a parent... Arrange your weeks so you can offer this wonderful gift to others....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We never eat in Fast Food or Restaurants. In fact I could probably count on my 1 hand how many times we have eaten out in the last 20 years. About the only "out" I get is a Starbuck iced drink 1 time every summer.
I would rather have our food in our kitchen under my control....
We are to get severe storms here too this afternoon. We had tornados about 20 miles from here last evening.
Too hot & humid......
Have a Great Day!
Marilyn

Katie said...

DEAR Marietta, I have more than once been amazed at how you always prepare wonderful nourishing meals for your table, even when you are very tired and/or hot! After raising 10 children myself, cooking has become to me a hated chore which I avoid nowadays, usually only eating prepared,easy,or raw foods. You are a beautiful inspiration to me as you share your daily sturggles and faithful committment to the "old ways"..... I get so much precious "food" for thought from you in all your blogs... it's such a Pleasure to show up at the door of your blog-house and have you welcome me inside.... i can honestly say I love you.......Katie

Sandi said...

SO true Marietta. Kids certainly do not share the MANY home cooked meals we had growing up. I would much rather have a homemade meal than a restaurant any day. They just aren't the same. It is nice every once in awhile to eat out, but I fear most of us do it too often.
By the way, your corn looks delicious!!
Blessings~

The Creative Bohemian said...

I think the family coming together is a blesed thing. Even more so when it is our extended family. There is always so much to share. It gives us a chnace to laugh at ourselves and make plans for our future.

Thanks, Marietta, for the reminder of just how blessed we are.

Diane

Olivia said...

Thank you for this handy reminder...I do not really enjoy cooking...I would rather be painting! But i have created the nice atmosphere in my kitchen so when I am in there I enjoy it somewhat! Your sweet corn looks delightful.
Hugs,
Olivia

The Tin Rabbit said...

I love cooking! My two sons & husband always had homecooked dinners...It was a perfect time to visit and talk about your day! Have a wonderful day~ ann