Saturday, November 13, 2010

Did You Know?

Did you realize this lovely song of the past for the holiday season was inspired by the Salvation Army bell ringers? It has rather a cute little story that goes with it... The song title started out as Tinkle Bell but the title was changed and first heard in the 1951 comedy with Bob Hope called " The Lemon Drop Kid". Jay Livingston the composer and Raymond Evans the songwriter originally called the song, Tinkle Bell, but Livingstons wife reminded him that "TINKLE" had another association in the bathroom so they put that title aside but loved the music and the melody so the title was just changed to Silver Bells and money has been pouring in every since... Now a old standard and one of my very favorites this song still creates a old-fashion emotional response.... As you ponder your decorating and may be starting why not turn on some of these lovely songs and help them with your inspiration? Enjoy and have a weekend as lovely as this old favorite.....

3 comments:

Rose Garden Romantic said...

I never realized it was inspired by the Salvation Army bell ringers, but now that you have said it I feel silly for not figuring it out sooner. It's one of my favorites, too! I love listening to the classics while decorating!
Michelle

Sandi said...

I LOVE Silver Bells...have you seen the Hallmark movie with the same name? LOVE it as well. I am making little trees and I am going to put on some Christmas music right now! :)

jinxxxygirl said...

I did not know all that! My daughter was born to the music of Silver Bells. It was a week before xmas and i was in the delivery room and the song was playing overhead. The doctor and nurses started singing with it. Its a wonderful memory to have. Thanks for reminding me!