Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yester years Objects... Todays' Charm



Vintage and thrift shop designs and treatments using recycled furniture and re-purposed chippy objects produces a style all it's own... From faded flowered fabrics to feed sacks, and mix and match furniture.. Casting a eye upon a wonderful wedding of items can be so very charming. To me a room has to have some romance and I think it starts with the lighting. A chandelier is always needed to complete the look and feel. Other charms may be achieved with painting, chipping, ripping, distressing, hammering, and scrapping .....{ A budget friendly stress remover all on it's own} A old crystal vase can be a re-purposed object.. If you are starting from scratch you need to aim for something quirky and unique... I do believe each one of us need a space where we can spend alone time surrounded by things we love.. A place of retreat full of our quirkiness... I love the simple use of old tattered books.. Books can be a comforting sight... They always seem to be connected with relaxing... Years back I would have discarded books of the ripped and old sort and now I just love the color and texture... The older and more tattered the better... Many retailers have started selling old books and tattered and torn look... The green bundle in the below pic is from Wisteria and cost 49.00... Hum... it is so very simple to run find some old books from 50 cent and up in a flea market or antique shop and just rip and tear away... I use the covers for altered art... and a simple tie of some cord or lace or embellishment of your choosing... creating today's charm, with yester years objects...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post!! I too love this way to decorate. I also wear my great, great aunts compass on a chain as a necklace. It reminds me of the women in my family that has passed before me......I am the 4th generation to wear it.
Have a Wonderful Day!!
Marilyn

Unknown said...

I wouldn't want to live without my books, I really loved reading your post, yes, indeed, the older the mouldier the better I always say. I'm an ardent reader and my friends keep telling me I should buy an e-reader, which is so unlike me, I need to feel and smell the paper. Not weird, am I? Books are not just great for reading, they make wonderful embellishments in your home, too!

Marijke van Ooijen said...

Hay...

What a lovely blog...
and amazing post.
I follow your blog.
Please take a look at my blog, and step into my world.

Marijke

Anonymous said...

Hay...

What a lovely blog...
and amazing post.
I follow your blog.
Please take a look at my blog, and step into my world.

Marijke
www.marijkevanooijen.blogspot.com

Shopgirl said...

This was a very special post, what would we do without books? Hugs, mary