Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Day In Middlebury, Indiana

Horse and buggies awaiting owners return from breakfast....as we pull in the restaurant...



Inside the restaurant....





Hungry, Brownsburg, Bulldogs after a hot dusty game.... Garrett { Tom's grandson looking toward me as I snap the pic....







Big smile ... after a win... Garrett










Traveling down the road.....











The Restaurant.....














Oh the Bakery......













The carriage....


















Many buggies and Amish families...



















The covered bridge....
















Yesterday Tom and I arose at 6:00 a.m. to make ready to travel to Middlebury, Indiana to attend his grandson's Garrett Baseball tournament game... that was being held in Middlebury... We arrived in Middlebury about 9:00 a.m. and ate breakfast at Das Dutchmen Essenhaus. They pride themselves on being the largest restaurant on Indiana with a whopping { 1,100 seats}... There are small shops in the area also... and a very large bakery... After the game I told Tom I would want to come back to the bakery... Gotta take a couple goodies home you know... I purchased a peanut butter creme pie...a loaf of sourdough bread { one of Tom's favorite} a very small bag of home-made Carmel's... I would have loved to take home noodles and some apple butter ect. but the items were on the pricey side.. For example 6 cookies were 5.25...ouch.... I will be baking my own cookies since 2 cookies is just a sample for Tom...

I would have loved to spend much more time there as I have been begging all summer to go to the Amish country and travel the back roads and here we were in prime Amish country and had to rush home... Tom's daughter Tonya had called and said she was coming down with a friends and her daughters to be around the pool in the afternoon so Tom was in his trucker mode { his occupation before retirement} grrrrr....to get home... I would have loved to snapped some pics.. I did snap a couple but do you know what a cheap camera and snapping at 60 miles a hour produces to share with you... Can I say... not much.... Life as a blurrr.....

When leaving the restaurant we did see the wedding carriage traveling down the lane to the covered bridge for a wedding ceremony.. It was lovely but I had sympathy for them because of the extreme heat...

I did place a picture of Amish buggies awaiting their owners to return from having breakfast... I was surprised at the amount of Amish that were eating in the restaurant...

By noon bells, temps had reached the 90's and very hot and humid and I could feel myself getting that ache in the tummy and crabbiness setting in... Hot weather can really have a hold on me that I don't enjoy...

When we arrived home we found the pool to be full of young women and girls enjoying the relief of the water in the pool... and a house full of flies... I am posting while on break from mopping my floors yet one more time this week...

Also when arriving home I had 2 messages from my daughter who was at my X's... She wanted us to come over and spend some time with her... After the girls left... I made some supper followed by a piece of that peanut butter pie... oh yummmm... peeled off my clothes and slipped into the pool and cooled down and freshened up... We went to see my daughter of which we stayed much longer than I thought we would and came home... soaked in a bath of perfumed oiled water ... watched a hour of HGTV and traveled off to bed... This morning has consisted of laundry.. mopping... cleaning porch and decks... washing windows... and picking sweet corn from the garden for supper.... I want to slice up a large watermelon and make some sliced cucumbers yet.... Wait this is Sunday...I need to cool it... so the rest of the things to be done can just wait till tomorrow as the temps is now nearing the 90 degree mark once again... Hope you are all staying cool and enjoying your day... I hope for this one to be just a bit more relaxing with a hour here... sending blessings....


















7 comments:

Andi's English Attic said...

It's not that hot here, but I still don't like it.
Thank you for the pics of Amish country. Very interesting.
The pies look delicious. xx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I've only been to Amish Country in Ohio since my mom is from Millersburg and I have family in Wooster. If you need to feed a bunch of folks, then Der Dutchman is certainly the place to go.

Our little league baseball season is from January through April. Practices usually start in November when the weather starts to cool off and the season opens in January. My oldest son played for 9 years and my youngest just finished his 8th season but has decided he no longer wants to play. Guess we will move on to something else this next year.

Have a great new week ahead. Best wishes, Tammy

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! The humidity has been brutal all weekend though. Celebrated by going out to eat yesterday and everyone came back to our house but stayed inside. We live very close to Amish country near Berlin. I like to visit there at least once a year. Peanut Butter pie is so good!~Hugs, Patti

Carol said...

Ah, brought back wonderful memories! There and Nappanee. Thanks for that!

Becca said...

My what a busy weekend. I am glad you had some rest on Sunday. My girlfriends and I used to take a yearly trip to Amish country. We loved the family style dinner at Das Essenhaus. I always brought home salad dressing. Yum.

Unknown said...

Your pictures are lovely Marietta, especially love the pies from the bakery ;-) Sounds like you had a really good and interesting time, too! Thanks for another wonderful story.

Sandi said...

Love amish country and I need to get myself to Shipshewana yet this year...if this heat ever lets up. Sounds like you had a wonderful time despite having to rush home.
Blessings~