Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blissfully Simple




Waking to dew filled mornings and this morning a light rain here in Ohio are daily reminders that fall has started to set in... As The work crew continues their very hard work and near completion of the pool in the back yard... They are packing the sides this morning and will be dropping the liner and filling the pool later this afternoon and pulling out by evening according to Shelby...
My thoughts remain positive about keeping things simple in my life... This will include fall and Christmas this year... Knowing fully it doesn't take very much to liven up a room with fall and Christmas touches... Much of the spirit lies in our attitude toward it all itself... The filling of simple glass jars and bell glass cloches with pumpkins leaves berries nuts or baubles or beads can be very striking... Using a old aged silver tray for a base for little vignettes is stunning.. Mirrors and trays are both lovely ways to start a foundation for a display...
If you are on a tight budget as I am usually myself.... and we just received the bill for the pool this morning and Tom is off to get into his savings as it will be 5000.00 more than expected on original estimate.... and we stayed very modest... I will try not to add to extra spending in any way.... Nature itself can be a very thrifty way of adding a lovely look with the use of cones, berries, nuts, branches and just searching for lovely items laying and growing around you... Another way of adding a soft romantic touch of course is with the clear Christmas lights... This addition can start with fall decoration and be transferred into Christmas with the addition of different trims... I love the idea of using the lights early as you don't have to be placing them when it gets super cold outside... There seems to me to be something magical about the clear Christmas lights.. they are soft but yet brilliant that can welcome you as well as your neighbor and friends....
" Blissful Simple" can be easily achieved in my thoughts by using timeworn objects of the past and adding that touch of bling... Create the atmosphere I so delight in surrounding myself in....
Last evening we had a beef roast carrots and potatoes for our supper and sliced tomatoes and I made more so I had left overs..also my son and my X ate with us as they were here when it was supper time.... I am about to go to the kitchen and place a large kettle of vegetable soup on to simmer for a couple hours for our lunch today... I have it all chunked up and went to the garden and picked green beans and will be adding some sweet corn ... I love the idea of being able to serve several meals from a main meal... Again the idea of keeping it simple works in many different areas... Sending you best wishes as we travel into a holiday weekend and the ending of summertime on our area....




2 comments:

deb said...

Wow!!! Someone was really off on your estimate. I would have croaked!

The last couple years have been fun settling into 'what i like' as far as xmas decor goes. Now that the kids are raised and are not always home for the holidays my decor has evolved into what i like not necessarily to please the kids. And my tastes are alot more simple. I can decorate to fit my mood. This year will be interesting as we will no doubt still be in transisiton with our move to CA and may still be in an apartment and not a house. With all my decorations in storage.

I look forward to pics of your new pool and what you came up with for decorations this year. Hugs! deb

Sandi said...

I agree with Deb! $5,000.00 is a lot over an estimate! I would croak too! eek.
I know you will enjoy it so much next year though so I suppose it is worth it? :)
I am paring down my holiday decor this year too...I hope! ha! Not buying anything for sure!
Blessings~