Friday, December 9, 2011

Changes Through The Years

Seems like this time of the year creates much more heavy thinking and thoughts of the past... Thinking of times of the past in my life and how surroundings and things themselves have changes... I read a book the other day that says modern day women are overworked, overstressed and commonly unsupported... I am not so sure I totally agree with all of that... I know women that work { I worked all my married and unmarried life} are expected to keep a clean house, make dinner { but I do not see all of that being done} do the laundry.. love and nuture and be pleasing and happy and receptive to their mates... I think ladies of the past did this quite well also... even though they didn't work out their chores were much harder and food much more difficult to prepare without all the conviences we must have now..In most ways the monster has been created for the added stress through all the WANTS and not necessarily NEEDS of the family.. It is truly very hard in these times to hold up and meet all these things we think we need... This is where we must be wise enough to make decisions that will be simplier for ones self and the family as a unit... Taking time and doing what is best for all at the holiday may be worth it... not giving in to a childs every desire and item on a childs list also will truly help them grow.... Everyone needs to learn you are not going to get everyting you think you deserve... it is just reality.... It is very important to deal with reality.... starting from a child through life's journey....
Snow has dusted the ground again earlier this morning and temps are very chilly... Snacked on banana bread I baked yessterday... while sipping coffee... Tom is still working on his fruit cake I baked him and we have eaten all the pecan cresents I baked so they will be made again... I am trying to decide when to do my baking.... I like it fresh baked and we actually enjoy eating it through the weeks of the season... Tom is making shutters for the building he had the Amish build for him a couple weeks ago... He did get the coats of stain on before the temps got so cold... I completed my kids Christmas cards this morning.... Just another simple day here in Ohio... No plans tonight... will most likely watch Christmas movies but carmel popcorn making may have to take place in a bit... Sound delicious for viewing the movies and sitting by the Christmas lights and decorations... It doesn't seem to matter what the age may be .... a movie... carmel popcorn and lovely shimmering Christmas lights and decorations just sounds and feels the way it should be... Now this simple way of living is my blessing......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we raised our childrn we didn't have much. Our lives got better as the years went on. I felt so bad because our kids had some very sparce Christmases but you know what??? They are much better for it now that they are in their 40's!!It didn't hurt them one bit to "go without" once in a while.....
Cold here too!!
Happy Holiday!!
Marilyn

Richard Cottrell said...

Especially the carmel popcorn. Yummy,yum,yum. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That was a nice post! I too think alot this time of year of the past. Sometimes it makes me sad for what once was. Good times with my parents, grandparents and siblings....when times were so much simpler. There is nothing wrong with simple...you don't miss what you don't know. ~Hugs, Patti