Friday, December 16, 2011

Holding On To Memories

The past couple days have been windy and rainy and gloomy here in NW Ohio. No rain today but a promise of some snowflakes that may be making their journey... As many of you I am sure, yesterday was spent changing bedding.. washing throw rugs... other laundry... and a general house cleaning and cooking... Last evening however was more relaxed in the lazy boy chair and watching holiday movies on TV...
This morning I wrapped a couple gifts for my youngest granddaughter... Have a altered art card to complete later this afternoon... Tomorrow evening Tom's side of his family will have their Christmas gathering at the pavilion in Archbold as they do every year... Coming from a family of 10 children and one of the brother having 10 children you can already so the get together to too large for a small home... Many families will start their gatherings this weekend... I hope it is magical ... After many deep sighs it is time to have the stockings to be hung by the chimney with care... so the old legend can be followed... St. Nicholas ever so many years ago is said to have thrown coins down the chimneys of peasants on Christmas Eve so the the next morning , the poor but good-hearted could find their stocking weighed with gold...
All family traditions are somewhat the same but many do differ.. I do not bake as much as I once did but still love getting out the cookie cutters.. sprinkles and fancy sugars... In fact I need to set out a pound of butter { Paula Deens and my favorite ingredient} for making a couple batches...
Santa doesn't stop at our house anymore to eat his cookies but a visitor is always welcome to share as I believe the home is the place to be for the holiday... Tom and I seem in our minds and hearts to hang on to the way it use to be... but do cherish time spent with family and friends... Years have melted away the gifts of hand-made mittens and gloves and have been replaced with hand held technology that make it close to impossible to carry on a conversation with your grandchildren as a different form of conversation takes place... I have fond memories of long conversation with my grandmother and will hang onto them forever... My wish for you today is you treasure moments that are made when surrounded by family and friends....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...
The memories of my childhood sharpen as I grow older. Many a mix of sadness & smiles but I suppose that's what many have.
We are colder here with high winds this a.m. burrrr......
Happy Holidays !!
Marilyn

Sandi said...

Love this post Marietta and I hear ya on the technology. Sometimes I feel as if I am talking to a brick wall as people sit there and text away, but life goes on. :) I believe in progress, but I think some of it has gotten in the way of true family time and that is sad.
Praying you have a very blessed holiday!!