Thursday, December 1, 2011

Memories Of Our Past ...Baking With Grandma




Last 2 times while trying to post all has been lost.. Will try again today....
Our area suffered heavy rains and flooding the past several days... As I peer from the window this morning it appears to be cold but calmer with sunshine... The overflowing ditches seem to be under control but I don't believe the fields will dry out anymore this winter...

I have shared a couple pics of some inspiration from Jeanne d Ark Christmas magazine this year... Not having exactly the materials I would have chosen first I used just a brown lunch sack glued together and cut from a hand drawn pattern.. Also worked on 4 cards and have them nearly completed...

Seems Tom is insisting on a fruit cake to be baked this year... He has even went so far as to get his mother's family recipe from a sister-in-law ... I have never made a fruit cake and have never wanted to .... How bout all of you? I wrote down the ingredients on my grocery list and they seem to be quite expensive... I looked on line for some in a tin and they are about 30.00... I will give it a try... I just am hoping after all the purchasing it will be good... Hard to bake something that you really don't have your heart into but he wants it so bad I will try... Who knows... it may turn out to be my favorite thing to bake at the holidays... { I am trying this power of positive thinking thing} There is one thing that would worse and that would be anise cookies... Oh no..no... no.... Guess I just care for recipes and loves from childhood and what we were brought up with... Pecan crescents [ Mexican wedding cookies} decorated roll out sugar cookies... gingerbread... fudge and divinity among the favorites with peanut brittle and carmel popcorn added... We do take on past personality and desires through the years... When I think of my favorite times baking it is always thoughts of being in the kitchen with grandma and her soft voice and loving teaching ways..... Sending you best wishes.....

3e

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I don't do fruitcake either Marietta, but I have my grandmothers cookie recipe that is amazing!!! Let us know how it turns out !!
Blessings~

Unknown said...

Surely the ingredients are not that expensive where you live Marietta? I have baked these cakes dozens of times, especially around this time of year, but it has always been quite low budget. Very taste though, too! Have fun baking it, I can almost smell it now ;-)