Wednesday, April 23, 2008

FAMILY TIES ARE PRECIOUS THREADS














FAMILY.....as we mature and experience lessons in life... I believe our want for knowledge of our family becomes stronger....Both of my parents have passed away .. my father in his early 40's and mother in her early 80's. I find so many time happenings that I would like to question them about.. but am sure most will go unanswered.... It is a journey to remember through our earlier years... a certain place... a certain time... values we were taught... integrity, commitment, faith, and forgiveness... Our faith learns us simplicity as a virtue... Meaningful pleasures as joy... I have great concern that in our busy life we may not be passing this onto our family. We should strive hard to pass on sense of dignity and worth ... Seems our children leave the nest early and depart for further schooling, job opportunity, marriage, and maybe a life they are not fully ready for. We wonder if we have had enough time to ready them for the future... Families stayed closer together in past years making them stronger as a unit in my thoughts. But time has taught me we have to learn from our our failures and successes....
Most of my favorite memories of family do not have to do with big Hugh event or gifts... They are made up of small enchanting treats...picnics...reunions...church functions...birthday cake...and don't forget the daily CHORES.... My toys were mainly something my dad had put together...wooden stilts and hoop and a stick and run the neighborhood fro morning till dusk as your parents would allow. Then the dreaded Monday wash day with the good old wringer washer... My nightmare was the chrome legs on the kitchen table and chairs... I would have to polish them once a week with chrome polish.. Whenever I happen to see a chrome kitchen set at a antique shoppe or flea market....my childhood days are instantly returned... Also in my family you didn't just ask for a nickle to go somewhere you ask what you could do to earn it. We were taught to work for it at even a young age.. probably the best thing in life they taught me. I to this day respect the items I have had to work for ... Now in this time feels to me every thing is disposable... don't want it ..throw it away... get rid of it.... Like a paper plate.... Please for me just bring on the china with the beautiful pattern and I will gladly wash it for the pleasure of using it... Times are really changing.....I feel in years past we were taught to value smaller gifts offered to us. Attend your grandchildren birthdays party and it is More than I ever saw for Christmas in a 5 year total combined. Okay MARTHA... not convinced "THIS IS A GOOD THING"
Growing through the years I have not had great wealth in the form of money but was blessed with great riches of a loving mother and father and for that I am so very, very thankful.. So many have never experienced that...... I am Blessed......

PS> The pictures above are of my father in his hunkie years ...My dad and myself 67 years ago ....... My Mom when she was 14.......




1 comment:

The Apron Queen said...

Couldn't stay away for S&T Sunday! Missed the button challenge, so decided to show off my vintage buttons! You can go right over here.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.