Tuesday, July 7, 2009

FAMILY

To hear our family tell it.... oh my there use to be allot more placed on family and tradition that we do now... This is becoming somewhat of a worry to me... Our grandparents loved to talk of family and friends and now we seem to make excuses and have lack of time for what we think to be more important. Many times when we hear the phone or doorbell we wonder who is bothering us now. Years past they would answer the door with welcomes and sounds of delight and hugs... Most of the time your guest or family would come bearing a delightful home-made gift from the heart.... A small token of friendship may be in the way of jams... breads... pies or cookies to share.... What a wonderful tradition we have left slip away from us.... I truly in my heart and in my mind feel we need to focus on these small blessings we received in the past and welcome back family and friends for the sheer pleasure of their company. A very good way to bring joy into your life would be to not try to show off what we have , rather to share what we have......

5 comments:

kathy said...

yES THE OLD ADAGE TAKE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSE -- SO TRUE -- WE DON'T DINE -- WE DINE AND DASH --fAST FOOD WE WANT IT IN MINUTES --
ALL THE TOUCHES -- i AM GUILTY MYSELF SOMETIMES -- SOME CHILDREN DO NOT KNOW THAT FOOD CAN COME FROM A GARDEN -- BUT ONLY A DRIVE THROUGH -- tHANK FOR THE GENTLE REMIINDER OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS --
kATHY - GA ♥

Presépio no Canal said...

One of my sweetest memories: my great aunts and may grandma taking tea at five o`clock (it was a portuguese princess, Catarina de Bragança, who introduced the tradition in England, when she married the englsh king; and it is because of her, that Queens is called like that, she was very loved by the american people).

I loved taking tea with my grandma and great aunts.And my cousins liked it too, as well.

I remember the cakes and the liqueurs that my great aunt did so well. So good!!!!

Great moments :)is nice to have such memories :)

The Victorian Parlor said...

Marietta,

You are so right!!! Unfortunately I am guilty of being 'bothered' at times. Thanks for reminding me that these visits are blessings:).

Blessings,

Kim

SharDon Exclusives said...

Sandi, WOW your words are so direct to my heart. I remember my Momma used to make extra jams or homemade ketchup and when someone would stop by she ALWAYS gave them a gift of her love when they left...I MUST remember her hospitality ideas and make them a practice in my life...tks for your sweet words of wisdom...Sharon

SharDon Exclusives said...

Sorry I ment Marietta and NOT sandi. I had a brain freeze or something...tks again
Sharon