Saturday, May 1, 2010

Showers, Flowers. and Lighting

A storm arrived at 5:45 a.m. this morning and woke me up from my sleep...More rain is expected today to water the rest of the flowers planted yesterday... Tom planted the petunias for me out by our entrance to our driveway.... I think I am going to say that is all for this year except I would love to plant some flowering kale... I have never had a problem finding it but this year seem to be different... It always does so well for me and has such a long endurance to the temperatures....
I wanted to share with you a idea that worked out well for me... I had mentioned in a earlier post we purchased new solar lights for around the pool and will be placing them out when we have the pool opened for the season... I had old ones from last year that endured the grandchildren balls and attacks while playing in and around the pool and some of the stakes we broken.... I had been looking at ones for on the deck posts while hunting for the ones we purchased... The platforms were way to large on the deck solar lights I saw in the stores, for our rails of our decks... I really wanted to figure out a way to re purpose the older ones and use them for another year and do that budget thing I am ever so known for... I took the tops of the solar lights and found that there was a small hole in the lamp part itself where the rod secures in... Hum... looked to me like a screw would just fit down in the hole and maybe could just be screwed directly to the top of the railing... I felt great when I made it work... I was able to secure these to all sides of the deck and we have the nicest soft light on the decks.... All I wished for was to be able to see to move around not to have anything that would draw the bugs... I was so pleased as the other lights were quite expensive and I was able to re purpose the existing ones we had... " I love it when a plan comes together" hum some TV star use to use that quote but for the life of me I can't remember who......
I also wanted to share with you the Christmas style solar lights I found one box of at Meijers... They were 29.99 at first price and was 75 percent off and I purchased them for 7.50... I have woven them in amongst my trumpet vine which is just starting to leaf out and will get beautiful.... These have a small solar panel and come on at dusk and last about 6 hours... They are so very pretty... I so wish I could have found a couple more but no such luck but I am so happy with these...... Hopes and best wishes for a very pleasant weekend for all of you.... Monday the forecast for nicer weather returns.... I will be anxiously awaiting.....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea for your solar lights. I've got a few misfits that I'll try that with. Thanks, Sally