Saturday, October 30, 2010

Putz Villages

Good afternoon... I was busy all morning washing my large picture window inside and out making ready for my Christmas village to be put in place the first of the week... It usually takes me 2 days to complete.... This village is large and not the putz.... but I have been unpacking and setting some of my putz houses and little bottle brush trees......
Oh don't we just love the vintage Putz Villages and bottle brush trees in our decorating today... It turns out that many German-Americans used the term "putz" the way we might use the word "putter". Are you going to quit putzing around with those lights and decorate the tree already... During Christmas many families "putzed" around with the Nativity display... so the nativity and anything around it become 'Putz". These little Christmas houses bring back fond memories of Christmases past when many families displayed miniature holiday villages underneath their yuletide tree. Some of the houses changes through the years as the Japanese in the 1920's manufactured these in bright colors and these were sold to Sears and Roebuck and Montgomery Ward catalogs and F.W. Woolworth 5 & 10 cent stores.... and "yes" I remember those times... Now we have soft colored reproductions with Bethany Lowe and Jody Foster objects... I think somewhat pricey but those vintage and old villages hold high value in this day...because they are loved so much.....pic...BHG

7 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

I have the old *Putz* village that was my German grandmothers. Though it has seen better days ~ most of the windows have been poked out ~ it is my prize Christmas decoration! There is only a church and three houses but they are quite dear to me! But...AAAHHHH! I am not getting ready yet to put out any Christmas decor! I am just easing my way into Thanksgiving! :~P

Lisa's Creative Home said...

I love vintage putz house. I would love to get some one day. Funny, I worked at Woolworth when I was in highschool. I think I was there almost 2 years. I was sad when they went out of business. I have many childhood memories shopping there with my Grandmother!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Marietta, I love those little Putz pieces. While the new reproductions are charming, yours, the really old ones, are the absolute BEST. Hope to see the completed result of your putzing labor. Lidy

Sandi said...

I still adore my putz houses and am so glad that I started collecting mine right before the prices went through the roof. I have mostly white ones now and love every one!
hugs~

Lyneen said...

What a wonderful post. My Grandmother worked at F.W. Woolworth when I was young... In my 20's I worked at Montgomery Ward. So sad to see these giants disappear.

I remember my mother having a Putz Village, I wonder what became of it!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I have the village my mom always had under the tree in the 40's & 50's. I just adore it and to me it says "this is Christmas"!

hugs, Sherry

Unknown said...

I have a large collection of Putz houses. I'll dust them off and post them on the blog. Hopefully my daughter won't throw them all out when I'm gone.
Have a great day!
Laraine