Friday, November 19, 2010

A Holiday Village
















A Christmas village is a miniature-scale village most likely set up during the holiday season... The villages are rooted to the traditions of the Pennsylvania Dutch. The construction was originally cardboard of sorts and called Putz and were very common... Most were placed beneath the Christmas tree. After many years of producing cardboard houses in the 1970's ceramic or porcelain houses were introduced.. Many other companies have offered other brands and many styles.. Most of these are lighted today.. I am sharing some pictures of some of my houses in my little village that I peer at every evening and especially enjoy shortly after supper hour when first turning on the lights for evening... This is the first place our grandchildren come when they visit... They spend allot of time with their little imaginations looking and talking about the houses.... The two grandsons that live just a short walk from us have decided they would both like to live in the same house and course that means they will remain brothers... I think that is really neat... The house they want to remain family in is the last pic... Most of my little village houses are Thomas Kinkade or Hawthorne Village... Most of the Kinkade houses to purchase are 50 to 60 dollars a piece... I haven't added to it for several years now ... because of the expense and my window is really full... The wiring is hard to set up and hide the mechanics but I suppose I could squeeze a couple more in if I just fell in love with another one... But for now this is a peaceful little village that I named Tinsel Town......





5 comments:

victorian parlor II said...

Marietta,

Your village is beautiful! Is that snow I saw through the window outside? I can't imagine snow roght now-it was in the 70's here today:). I didn't know there was tradition to the Christmas villages-very interesting:). Thanks for sharing your lovely village!

Blessings,

Kim

Cathy said...

Hi Marietta,

Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and enjoying the "Sneak Peeks" of my upcoming Marie Antoinette Holiday decor.

Come by and visit again to see the final Christmas decorations.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cathy

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

O MY!! what a charming Christmas village! I have two. One that I collected since my son's were born 27 and 29 years ago...Lemax Brand and another that was an entire set from Sam's Club several years ago. I also have a Halloween village, and Autumn Village and an Easter Village.
Have a great weekend!!

Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

MySkinConcierge Ava said...

Lovely as always!

The Creative Bohemian said...

Marietta,

I love your Christmas Village! I have one as well, but it was one I have been painting myself and adding to each year. Yours has such a vintage feel.

Diane