Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Charm Of Old Buttons







Many of us seem interested in collecting buttons...I have many stashed just for altered art projects but also have a collection of the finer ones... My very favorite are the ones that have rhinestones.... Along with many others ... they seem to bring a very good price...
As long as we have needed to keep our clothing fastened... buttons have been there it seems making some of very collectible ... Buttons have been made from materials such as antler... bone.. ceramics.. to metals and stone. Many are so pretty and unique they just beg to be collected...
Often made of precious metal ... like gold, mother of pearl and ivory, and hand crafted those antique buttons are priced normally high. The older and more rare the button it can cost up to a few thousand dollars... Antique buttons are increasingly being exhibited on the Internet. Antique and lovely buttons should be displayed by those whom love them and not discarded.. I placed a little collections I shared with you last month that I found on cards on some different backings... The one old bunch I placed on a salvage piece of book cover I had in stash and the other little clear glass collection I place on a grungy cinnamon tag with a piece of Cath Kidson wallpaper print... The other pics are from around the house in jars or candy dishes in in vignettes... I always have in mind to take home a sweet little button.....



1 comment:

Sandi said...

I love old buttons...especially white ones! :) You have yours displayed so pretty.