Monday, August 8, 2011

Times Past And Happy Endings



As I peer from the large picture window of my home this morning I see the landscape changing from the lack of rain and dryness although we did have a couple nice showers the past few days... Things are starting to acquire a fall look with many weeds and ditches all dried and the corn is tasseled... the change is evident... Sometimes I see to be thinking of times past... Can this be my age and knowing that most of my life has been lived... Is it the unknown that makes it somewhat uncomfortable at times when we allow our minds to wonder... knowing that our nation may not be as strong as it once was and thinking of what is to come with our children and grandchildren... when all this occurs I must know that when it get tough.... that's when the tough get going....

I long many times for the world to be more aware of what occasions really were celebrated for and what they really mean.. I know many of you younger readers and bloggers will not understand what I am trying to portray but I can certainly tell you that there was a time in America when people, places, and things meant more to us... not just our possessions....

You know " the fonz" { Henry Winkler} days were just the best ever that I remember...more relaxed but very hard worked for survival... society was certainly not so accepting and God was still allowed in to schools... I have my thoughts and beliefs but do not go around trying to shower them on everyone but my secret thoughts are " shame on you" for passing some of the rights and not concentrating on what could be a crucial to our nation... I find myself rather sickened by many things our society has accepted... seems like we have allowed all the rights to the wrong things... I am saddened deeply by the recent loss of US soldiers that are fighting for our country.. As they fight I sometimes feel we are letting them down in what they are fighting for...

Sometimes thinking and remembering wonderful simple pleasure of the past brings me the most happiness... Am I living in the past... most defiantly not... It is just a pleasing place to go visit for awhile and certainly good on the budget... I love most of the modern technology, well most of the time when it isn't on melt down.. The conveniences are wonderful most of the time... but still should be in moderation.. It doesn't hurt us to have to tug and pull abit to keep ourselves strong in mind and will.

This morning is damp and over cast as I am about to work on chores... This week for me has a couple events to prepare for... I am hosting a jewelry party at the request of my daughter. Starla, in need of a place to hold the party... I need to make a list of things to be completed for that... Sunday will be our church festival at St. Michael's Ridge Catholic Church of which I will be working and socializing and the complete day will be spent there....

Schools in our area will be soon back in session as many changes occur for families... Although some dread the thought I always thought it was much better when the children we on a daily routine and planning for where, when and what... Hum, it takes me back to remembering the good old days when one would walk 2 or 3 miles or more just to get to school come rain.. snow... or sunshine... We didn't know any different and I believe it was what made it all good.. Sending you all thoughts and wishes today for " Happy Endings"....




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so very blessed here in the NE mountains of Pa. that we are actually over the average rain fall. I wish I could send some to those who need it.
Love your post.... It pretty much says it all. I can't improve on it!!
Have a Wonderful Day!!
Marilyn

Unknown said...

Well Marietta, I don't think age has anything to do with it, I'm only 45 and there are times that I really LONG for the 'good old days'. So I think it just has something to do with nostalgic feelings. If you have fond memories of things that happened in the past, or places you've been to, you tend to put more emphasis on it. That's why they become loving memories I suppose. I, too, treat the past as a wonderful place to be every now and then. Is it a coincidence you mentioned The Fonz? Of course I grew up with him and I saw an episode of Medical Examiners the other day where I saw him again after all those years! Brought back memories, too ;-) Ah, the sweetness of memories... All the best to you my friend, Ira xox

Sandi said...

Ahh...the good ole days! So many things lost in time from way back then and I am not so sure it is all good what we have progressed to. Fall is in the air...coming way too soon!!
Blessings~

Joyce's Journey said...

Interesting post - sad, but true. I guess I'm getting to the age also where I think about how things have changed and not for the better. It is sad and was for those before us. I guess it is the stepping stones we need to travel to accept the end when we get there. Enjoy the journey.

Richard Cottrell said...

be sure and drop by my blog as I am doing a free give away. Thanks, Richard at My Old Historic House.

Shopgirl said...

Your words ring true for me. I am sad that even in families there are devided thoughts on what this nation is or should be. I love all that you said, it lets me know that there are others who feel as I do. Nothing is simple any longer, it is all so hard and angree. Love, Mary