Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mirror,Mirror

In my home I have a small collection of antique and vintage mirrors I plan on placing in a vignette on my mantle in another week... changing out the early 1900's candy box collection for Valentines decorating that is now displayed ... I believe I have the right amount of mirrors to achieve the look I desire without taking hanging mirrors down... My mirrors I plan on working with now are  laying and house vignettes of glam and antique and vintage perfume bottles...
     I love the use of mirrors for their reflection of twinkling lights and adding of the feel of space... Many supersitions throughout many years make mirrors just a bit intriguing ...I found a few of these old superstitions to be a bit scary...and will share just a few of them with you...
     *Of course we to this day all know the most common that the breaking of a mirror is suppose to mean bad luck for years to come... This superstition goes way back to the ancient Roman days and believed the only way to overcome this is to bury the broken mirror pieces very deep in the ground...
     * If a mirror in the house falls from the wall and breaks it means someone is going to die...
     * It is considered bad luck to see your face in a mirror by candlelight...as you may see the spirit of a loved person who has passed...
     * If you want to know what your future husband lloks like, you sit in fron of a mirror and eat a apple.. After that you start to brush your hair, and a image of your future husband will appear behind your shoulder in the mirrors reflection...
    Several others that I researched all seem to be connected with death and spirits... making it seem mirrors to be a scare tactic as thier orgin.. People many times attribute the supernatural links to things they do not understand and mirrors are believed to be a reflection of the truth...
     I still love my mirrors but will be making real sure they are secured on strong stands and no candlelight in front of them... just maybe some twinkling Christmas white lights...
    The pic of the mirror gathering on the mantle is the look I am desiring and I believe this may be from Rene  http://missgracieshouse.blogspot.com but am not completley sure of that... I know she has some other mantle vignettes that I totally love also... The other pic is of a venetian mirror and I think they are so lovely... I do have a standing smaller one I am hoping to work in with my other collection.. Then, next I would like to try a collection of old frames after that.... Will share when I redo my mantle soon... until then all I can say is Baby it's cold and blustry outside and counting my blessings to be in warm cozy home today.....
      

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am familiar with most superstitions about mirrors, although I didn't know the one with the apple. There's definitely something about mirrors, they attract our attention, it's as if they are able to show us our souls... You've got some fine versions there Marietta, hope you're doing great. Have a lovely weekend, Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Rhonda said...

Mirrors are beautiful to me and very mysterious. I love this post, it is fitting and informative. Rhonda

Curtains in My Tree said...


Hi I haven't seen you around blog land lately
Are you snowed in ?

Love you mirror